List of Idioms:
- Get to the buttom of sth – किसी हालात की सच्चाई ढूँढना
Example – It’s doubtful. I want to get to the bottom of the matter.
- Give sb a hell – बुरे तरीके से डाँटना
Example – The boss gave them hell for not finishing the project in time.
- A bone of contention – झगड़े की जड़
Example – A serious bone of contention between the landowners and the developer
was the compensation price for the land.
- Take a back seat – किसी कार्य में पीछे हो जाना
Example – The founder of the company decided to take a back seat and let the board
members run the business.
- Have a ball – अच्छा समय होना
Example – It was a great weekend, we all had a ball.
- Go bananas – अत्यधिक नाराज़ होना, गुस्से में आगबबूला होना
Example – She will go bananas if she sees the house in this condition.
- A bag ( bundle) of nerves – जल्दी घबराने वाला इंसान
Example – Before the interview, he was a bundle of nerves.
- Have ants in one’s pants – बेचैनी होना
Example – The young students just can’t sit still, they must have ants
in their pants.
- Have an axe to grind – स्वार्थ, काम निकालने का तरीका
Example – He should not become the chairman of the committee as he
has too many axes to grind.
- Lead sb astray – गलत राह दिखाना, भटकना
Example – The local leader is leading the young boys astray.
- Be on the cards – होने की संभावना
Example – Some big changes in the organizational structures are on
the cards for next year.
- Be on the case – doing what needs to be done in a particular situation
Example – ‘We need to apply before registration is closed ‘
Don’t worry, I’m on the case, just leave it to me.